close
This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

No starvation deaths confirmed in Orissa in past 11 yrs: Govt

Orissa government claimed that no starvation deaths were confirmed in the state denying reports that 461 such deaths took place in past 11 years.



Bhubaneswar: Orissa government on Wednesday claimed that no starvation deaths were confirmed in the state
denying reports that 461 such deaths took place in past 11
years.

"Though media reports had passed off these as such
deaths, we could not confirm that any single death had been
caused by starvation," Revenue and Disaster Management
Minister S N Patro said adding that each one was
inquired by the field staff in respective districts.
Patro, who was replying to a question in the assembly,
claimed that the state government had made provisions of
supplying food to every needy person through Orissa Relief
Code.

"No one in the state would be left to die of hunger,"
he asserted.

"The district collectors have been issued direction to
monitor situation and officials like tehsildars, community
welfare officer and executive officers of urban local bodies
instructed to remain vigilant," Patro said.
He said the government had also strengthened PDS
besides implementing different pension schemes and rural job
opportunities.

The state government made provision of emergency
feeding programme (EFP) for the poor and aged in KBK
(Kalahandi-Bolangir-Koraput) region in view of poverty in that
area, the minister said.

Of the 461 alleged starvation death reports, 108 came
from the KBK region.

While such alleged deaths had been reported from
costal districts like Cuttack, Puri, Balasore, Bhadrak,
Ganjam, Khurda and industrially rich Jajpur, Angul, Dhenkanal,
Jagtsinghpur and Sundargarh, no such deaths were reported from
tribal-dominated poor districts of Koraput and Gajapati.

PTI

From Zee News

0 Comment - Join the Discussions