No violation of model code by Naveen: SEC
Bhubaneswar: Odisha State Election
Commission (SEC) on Friday found no violation of model code of
conduct for next month`s panchayat polls by BJD president and
Odisha chief minister Naveen Patnaik at a meeting in Tangi.
"The Commission has received the report from the
District Collector of Khurda on the violation. There is
nothing to show any violation of model code of conduct for the
ensuing panchayat polls," a senior commission official said.
No violation of model code was noticed in the speech
and action of the chief minister at the meeting held in Tangi
as alleged by opposition political parties, he said.
However, the District Collector has been asked to
caution the two contestants, who were present at the Tangi
meeting on January 22, not to identify themselves as political
party candidates at any platform, he said.
State Election Commission had on January 24 sought a
report from Khurda District Collector on violation of model
code of conduct allegedly by Naveen Patnaik.
The chief minister had rubbished the allegation.
It was alleged that Patnaik allegedly shared dais at
an election meeting in Tangi with the candidates contesting
for the posts of sarpanch, member panchayat samiti and ward
members contrary to SEC guidelines.
Elections to these posts are held without any party
symbol. Therefore, leaders of political parties were not
supposed to campaign for them.
Accusing Patnaik of violating model poll code, BJP and
Congress had demanded action against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi