No violation of model code by Naveen: SEC
Bhubaneswar: Odisha State Election
Commission (SEC) on Friday found no violation of model code of
conduct for next month`s panchayat polls by BJD president and
Odisha chief minister Naveen Patnaik at a meeting in Tangi.
"The Commission has received the report from the
District Collector of Khurda on the violation. There is
nothing to show any violation of model code of conduct for the
ensuing panchayat polls," a senior commission official said.
No violation of model code was noticed in the speech
and action of the chief minister at the meeting held in Tangi
as alleged by opposition political parties, he said.
However, the District Collector has been asked to
caution the two contestants, who were present at the Tangi
meeting on January 22, not to identify themselves as political
party candidates at any platform, he said.
State Election Commission had on January 24 sought a
report from Khurda District Collector on violation of model
code of conduct allegedly by Naveen Patnaik.
The chief minister had rubbished the allegation.
It was alleged that Patnaik allegedly shared dais at
an election meeting in Tangi with the candidates contesting
for the posts of sarpanch, member panchayat samiti and ward
members contrary to SEC guidelines.
Elections to these posts are held without any party
symbol. Therefore, leaders of political parties were not
supposed to campaign for them.
Accusing Patnaik of violating model poll code, BJP and
Congress had demanded action against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder
- These 5 automakers are looking for a turnaround in India –Know
- Maruti Suzuki Swift ‘Deca’ teased
- Five effective natural home remedies for treating chikungunya!
- On mistreating women's hockey players: Indian Railways slams report, says players were not made to sit on floor
- Sushma Swaraj, John Kerry to co-chair India-US dialogue