Non-BJD parties demand CBI probe into rape case
Bhubaneswar: Rejecting the judicial probe
ordered into the Pipili gangrape, non-BJD political parties
along with civil society members organised a rally here on Monday
demanding CBI investigation into the incident.
Besides main opposition Congress, leaders of BJP, CPI(M),
CPI, Forward Bloc and others under the banner of Odisha Gana
Samaj held the protest rally demanding CBI probe.
The Odisha government on January 13 ordered a judicial
probe into the incident. Justice PK Mohanty, a retired judge
of Orissa High Court will head the commission which would
submit its report within three months.
The protesters burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen
Patnaik, and Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy who
represents Pipili and had been charged by the girl`s family
and women bodies with shielding the culprits.
They also sought Governor MC Bhandare`s intervention.
Other demands of the Samaj included CBI probe,
financial assistance to the girl, and formation of a separate
body to probe all rape cases.
"This is for the first time in Odisha politics that
all opposition parties joined hands with non-political bodies
to protest the government`s mishandling of different rape
cases," senior BJP leader Bijay Mohapatra said.
The youth wing of Congress staged a separate
demonstration demanding removal of the agriculture minister
from state cabinet.
The 19-year-old girl was allegedly raped November 28,
at her village Arjunagoda, about 10 km from Bhubaneswar.
The girl is currently under treatment at the SCB
medical college hospital as per the direction of the Orissa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India