Non-BJD parties demand CBI probe into rape case
Bhubaneswar: Rejecting the judicial probe
ordered into the Pipili gangrape, non-BJD political parties
along with civil society members organised a rally here on Monday
demanding CBI investigation into the incident.
Besides main opposition Congress, leaders of BJP, CPI(M),
CPI, Forward Bloc and others under the banner of Odisha Gana
Samaj held the protest rally demanding CBI probe.
The Odisha government on January 13 ordered a judicial
probe into the incident. Justice PK Mohanty, a retired judge
of Orissa High Court will head the commission which would
submit its report within three months.
The protesters burnt effigies of Chief Minister Naveen
Patnaik, and Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy who
represents Pipili and had been charged by the girl`s family
and women bodies with shielding the culprits.
They also sought Governor MC Bhandare`s intervention.
Other demands of the Samaj included CBI probe,
financial assistance to the girl, and formation of a separate
body to probe all rape cases.
"This is for the first time in Odisha politics that
all opposition parties joined hands with non-political bodies
to protest the government`s mishandling of different rape
cases," senior BJP leader Bijay Mohapatra said.
The youth wing of Congress staged a separate
demonstration demanding removal of the agriculture minister
from state cabinet.
The 19-year-old girl was allegedly raped November 28,
at her village Arjunagoda, about 10 km from Bhubaneswar.
The girl is currently under treatment at the SCB
medical college hospital as per the direction of the Orissa
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi