Nun rape case: Defence lawyers doubt victim`s identity
Cuttack: The nun who was allegedly raped during the 2008 Kandhamal riots was asked to prove her identity by the defense counsels during the in-camera cross examination at the trial court here.
The 30-year-old nun, who was subjected to the cross-
examination for the second consecutive day, was asked to
produce her photo-identity card or any other proof to
establish that she was the one allegedly raped on August 25,
Facing a volley of questions from the defence side, the
nun exhibited her driving license and claimed that she had
lost the photo-identity card.
"We doubt the identity of the person facing the cross
examination as her signature at the court differs from that
made at the FIR copy of Baliguda police station in Kandhamal,"
defence lawyer S C Mohapatra told reporters outside the court.
Though Mohapatra and other defense lawyers asked her to
sign on a paper, it was objected by her advocates, the nun`s
lawyer Akshya Nayak said.
Raising the question on the victim`s identity, the
defence lawyers argued while the police record claimed that
she had underwent medical examination at 9.15 pm on August 25,
2005, during cross examination the nun gave another time.
The cross-examination of the victim by the defence
counsel remained inconclusive and it is likely to continue
tomorrow, sources said.
The nun for the first time deposed before the court on
November 3 and recorded her statement. She had also identified
five of the nine accused persons present at the court.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!
- Rs 7L for Sikh girl, Rs 5L for a Brahmin: `Love jihad` WhatsApp message goes viral in Gujarat
- Ranchi shocker: Teacher kills student because he was in love with her daughter
- Massive storm at JNU over Afzal Guru as 'anti-India' slogans raised; university orders disciplinary enquiry