Nun rape case: One more held
Phulbani (Odisha): One more person was arrested on Monday in connection with the alleged rape of a Catholic nun in Odisha`s communally sensitive Kandhamal during the riots that rocked the district after the murder of VHP leader Laxmanananda Saraswati in August 2008.
The accused, identified as Narayan Mohanty, was nabbed from the busy court square area by sleuths of the state crime branch police, which is investing the case, a crime branch official said.
Mohanty, said to be a petty businessman based in Raikia, was here in connection with some work when the crime branch police apprehended him, they said.
The nun was allegedly raped by a mob in K Nuagaon area on August 25, 2008 during the communal riots, which broke out after the murder of Saraswati and his four disciples at Jalespata ashram during Janmashtami festival on August 23.
Saraswati`s murder had triggered large scale violence in Kandhamal and some other places in which at least 38 people were killed and hundreds rendered homeless.
At least 27 people have been arrested in connection with the rape case so far. The last arrest had been made in May when the state crime branch nabbed one Apurba Rout for his alleged involvement in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened