Odisha: 13 killed as train hits vehicle
Sambalpur: Thirteen people were killed and six others critically injured when a train rammed into a vehicle at an unmanned railway crossing in Sambalpur district on Friday.
The mishap took place at Khairpali between Sambalpur City and Maneswar railway stations when the vehicle was hit by Rourkela-Bhubaneswar Inter-City Express while it was trying to cross the track at an unmanned level crossing, an East Coast Railway (ECoR) official said.
While 12 people died on the spot, another succumbed to injury at hospital, Sambalpur Sub-Collector Rainu Singh said, adding that six injured persons were admitted to the district headquarter hospital here.
The vehicle was carrying women agricultural labourers from Analapalli to Sindurpanka. The deceased were 12 women labourers and driver of the vehicle.
The impact of the collision was severe and the vehicle was dragged quite a distance on the track leaving most of the bodies dismembered, eyewitnesses said.
After the track was cleared, the train left for its destination, railway officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre