Odisha: 24 children die of mysterious disease
Malkangiri: With 24 children dying of a mysterious disease during last two months in Odisha`s Malkangiri district, the government has launched a drive to create health awareness and conduct medical examination in the tribal-dominated district.
"We have collected blood, water and mosquito samples in the affected areas to ascertain the reason behind the death and augmented the drive to create health awareness among the people", chief district medical officer (CDMO), Sashibhushan Panda said.
24 children aged between six months and four years died in some villages under Malkangiri and Korkunda blocks. They had swelling in their eyes, nose and ears accompanied by high fever and blood vomiting leading to death, he said.
A six-member expert team of scientists from Regional Medical Research Centre (RMRC), Bhubaneswar visited the affected villages and collected samples for investigation.
Another team of doctors from the MKCG Medical College Hospital at Berhampur was touring the areas today.
"There is no death of children since the last three days and the situation is under control now", the CDMO said.
A team official on condition of anonymity said that the symptoms afflicting the children were akin to Japanese Encephalities or Dengue. However, it could be known only after a thorough investigation of the colected samples, he said.
Even as the district administration was initiating steps to urge the people to get their children to hospitals, the people, mostly tribals, were blaming witchcraft for their troubles.
"It is an Herculean task to create awareness among the people in the district. They have faith in their "Disari" (quack), "Wade" and "Gunia" (black magician) and perform "Dumapuja" (invoking the spirit). They believe that whoever goes to the hospital will invite the curse of their deity", an official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA