Odisha: 27 prisoners named; Maoists extend deadline
Bhubaneswar: Maoists extended the deadline for fulfilment of their demands till April 07 for the release of BJD MLA Jhina Hikaka while Odisha government on Thursday named the 27 prisoners to be freed for him and Italian Paulo Bosusco being held hostage by two separate groups of Naxals.
A Maoist leader telephoned a section of the media saying the deadline, which was to end this evening, has been extended till the evening of April seven.
The leader of Andhra Odisha Border Special Zonal Committee of CPI (Maoist) (AOBSZC), which abducted Hikaka used the MLA`s phone to inform the media about the extension of the deadline, sources said.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced the 27 names of prisoners to be released in the assembly. The state government would take legal steps for their release.
Among them, 15 belonged to the Maoist-backed Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangha, eight Maoists and four from the list furnished by Odisha State Organising Committee of CPI (Maoist).
"As you can see, the state government has made this gesture on humanitarian grounds. I hope that the Maoists will reciprocate in a similar spirit and release the MLA and the Italian national immediately," Patnaik said.
He said the eight Maoists to be released included six from Odisha and a couple from Andhra Pradesh Murla Neelam Reddy and his wife Setu Pangi.
The four to be released for freeing Italian Paolo Bosusco included Subhashree Das, also known as Mili Panda, the wife of Sabyasachi Panda, secretary of Odisha State Organising Committee of CPI (Maoist).
The Andhra Odisha Border Special Zonal Committee of CPI (Maoist) was behind Hikaka`s abduction while Sabyasachi Panda`s outfit was responsble for that of the Italian.
Bosusco had been kidnapped along with another Italian Claudio Colangelo while they were trekking in Kandhamal district on March 14. Colangelo was freed on March 25.
A day earlier, Hikaka was abducted from Koraput district when he was returning home.
Meanwhile, Italian Ambassador Giacomo Sanfelice di
Monteforte met the Chief Minister here this evening and discussed the hostage crisis involving Bosusco, a Puri-based tour operator from his country.
Meanwhile, the statement of Subhashree Das was recorded by a fast track court at Gunupur in Rayagada district in connection with a case relating to her alleged involvement in an encounter between Maoists and the police in Gudari area.
The court fixed April 10 for pronouncement of the verdict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Meghalaya Board SSLC Results 2016: megresults.nic.in, www.mbose.in; Tura Result 2016, MBOSE Class 10 Examination Result 2016 to be declared today at 10 am
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM