Odisha: 3 officers kidnapped by Maoists, released 2 hrs later
Malkangiri (Odisha): Maoists on Monday kidnapped three block-level officers from a village meeting and released them two hours later with their 9-point charter of demands, police said.
The incident took place at Kangurukunda grama panchayat office under Kalimela block of Malkangiri district.
About 15 armed Maoists reached the spot where the three government officials were holding the meeting with some villagers, Malkangiri superintendent of police Akhilesh Singh said.
They allegedly threatened the gathering and asked the officers why were they holding the meeting inspite of their earlier warnings against such meetings. They forcibly took all the three officials to a nearby forest.
But, after two hours the ultras released all the officers with their 9-point charter of demands to be given to the district administration, the SP said.
Their demands include construction of a 8km long Manamukunda-Karkatpalli canal for irrigation purpose, withdrawal of security forces from the area, loan to the farmers and release of innocent tribals booked on the plea of Maoists.
Pallisabhas are held at all the gram panchayats of Odisha for the development of the rural pockets through various government schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video