Odisha: 312 families face possible deportation
Kendrapara: As many as 312 families living in the coastal villages here can face a possible deportation to Bangladesh, as they have failed to submit evidence of their nationality, officials said on Sunday.
With deportation notice still pending against them, these families have failed to submit documentary evidence with regard to nationality proof while the magisterial inquiry constituted to crosscheck the place of origin of alleged Bangladeshis has concluded its probe, the sources said today.
On the other hand, about 50 families branded as illegal immigrants have managed to put forward relevant documentary proof in support of their claim of bonafide citizens.
"The nativity root of about 50 families who have laid claim for Indian citizenship is being crosschecked. Relevant records and documents submitted by the suspected foreign nationals in support of their nationality claim were dispatched to Union Home ministry and West Bengal government for foolproof verification", Additional District Magistrate, Kendrapara, Ashok Kumar Panda said..
"The administration is carrying out the directives of the Union ministry. Those who did not submit nationality proof have lost the opportunity to wriggle out of foreign national stigma", he said.
Altogether 1551 suspected Bangladeshis from 362 families in Mahakalpada tehsil were served quit India notice under Foreigners` Act provisions in 2005. The move, however, was kept in abeyance by the Union Home Ministry following protest from various quarters.
Some of the infiltrators have submitted `relief eligibility certificate` and refugee resettlement certificates to lay claim to Indian citizenship. Besides, sections of infiltrators have come up with records to prove that they had migrated from neighbouring West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Are separatists scared with 'Dangal' girl Zaira Wasim's success?
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city