Odisha: 312 families face possible deportation
Kendrapara: As many as 312 families living in the coastal villages here can face a possible deportation to Bangladesh, as they have failed to submit evidence of their nationality, officials said on Sunday.
With deportation notice still pending against them, these families have failed to submit documentary evidence with regard to nationality proof while the magisterial inquiry constituted to crosscheck the place of origin of alleged Bangladeshis has concluded its probe, the sources said today.
On the other hand, about 50 families branded as illegal immigrants have managed to put forward relevant documentary proof in support of their claim of bonafide citizens.
"The nativity root of about 50 families who have laid claim for Indian citizenship is being crosschecked. Relevant records and documents submitted by the suspected foreign nationals in support of their nationality claim were dispatched to Union Home ministry and West Bengal government for foolproof verification", Additional District Magistrate, Kendrapara, Ashok Kumar Panda said..
"The administration is carrying out the directives of the Union ministry. Those who did not submit nationality proof have lost the opportunity to wriggle out of foreign national stigma", he said.
Altogether 1551 suspected Bangladeshis from 362 families in Mahakalpada tehsil were served quit India notice under Foreigners` Act provisions in 2005. The move, however, was kept in abeyance by the Union Home Ministry following protest from various quarters.
Some of the infiltrators have submitted `relief eligibility certificate` and refugee resettlement certificates to lay claim to Indian citizenship. Besides, sections of infiltrators have come up with records to prove that they had migrated from neighbouring West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH