Odisha: 4 Maoists including a woman commander surrender
Keonjhar (Odisha): Four Maoists including the second-in-command hardcore woman ultra of Kalinga Nagar division surrendered in the district here, police said on Friday.
Sambari Munda alias Mukti, who carried a reward of Rs two lakh on her head for the alleged involvement in crimes including murders, landmine blasts and attack in forest beat house in Similipal, surrendered with a pistol and cartridges before DIG (Western Range) Yaswant Jethwa and Superintendent of Police Asis Kumar Singh here.
Sambari had joined as a cadre four years ago but having realised that Maoists had deviated from their ideology and indulging in murder of innocent tribals, she decided to quit the rebel camp and joined the social mainstream, she said.
The other three surrendered Maoists are Ramabati Hembram of Asanabahali under Ghasipura police station and Iban Teu of Panga and Dharani of Tungurubahal villages in Telkoi police station.
Ramabati, Iban and Dharani were also involved in crimes including murder and attack on Daitary police station.
DIG Jethwa said they would be rehabilitated as per the state government`s package for surrendered Maoists to bring them to the social mainstream.
The package envisaged payment of Rs 2.5 lakh in three instalments in as many years, four decimal homestead land, Rs 45,000 for house construction, Rs 25,000 for marriage expenses and Rs 2,000 per month for three years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened