Odisha: 6,000 detonators recovered from passenger bus
Berhampur (Odisha): Police have recovered as many as 6,000 powerful detonators from a private passenger bus plying between Jeypore and Berhampur via Srikalulam in Andhra Pradesh.
Five persons were arrested, including four bus staff - three of them from Srikakulam district in Andhra Pradesh - were arrested for illegally transporting the explosives, said Superintendent of Police (Berhampur) Prateek Mohanty Wednesday.
The security personnel located the bus transporting explosives last night.
The arrested were identified as A Rama Rao, the driver of the bus, S Krushna Murthy, RG Rao (all vehicle employees hailing from Srikakulam district) and Bikash Bisoi of Pujariput in Koraput district, another employee of the bus.
The recipient of the explosives was identified as Pintu Sethi of Ankuli, at the outskirt of the town, police said.
“We were earlier informed about illegal transportation of the explosives from Srikakulam to Berhampur via passenger buses," the SP said.
During interrogation, Sethi said the detonators were procured from Srikakulam to supply to the stone-quarry units in the district, Inspector-in-charge, B N Pur, Deepak Mishra said.
”We are however inquiring about the sources of the supply of the explosive and exact purpose of transportation of these?,” he said.
Police denied that the explosives transported from Andhra Pradesh to Berhampur were meant to be supplied to the outlawed Maoists.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- PM Modi congratulates Zee News for its efforts to promote energy conservation
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way