Odisha: 88 students taken ill for suspected food poisoning
Koraput: At least 88 students of a government-run residential school were taken ill for suspected food poisoning in Koraput district, an official said on Wednesday.
After preliminary treatment at Ramagiri hospital, around 30 children of the Kandulbeda Sevashram (residential school for SC and ST students), were shifted to Boipariguda and two referred to the sub-divisional hospital at Jeypore, District Welfare Officer (Koraput) Jagannath Soren, who visited the school yesterday, said.
"At present, the students are out of danger," he said.
Students of the Kandulbeda Sevashram, about 80 km from here, under Boipariguda block complained of vomiting after dinner on Sunday.
"Of the 250 students residing in the hostel, 88 had taken dinner in the first batch and all of them complained of vomiting and uneasiness," Kartik Sisa, one of the affected students, said.
With classes I to X, the school has a strength of 350, including 100 girls.
Officials suspect it to be a case of food poisoning and samples have been collected for laboratory tests. "During inquiry it was found that stale food was not served to the students," Soren said.
Official sources said instructions have been issued to the sevashram authorities to prepare food in most hygienic condition and staff members should first taste the food before it is served to students.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'