Odisha acquires 2,100 acres for Posco: Report
Bhubaneswar: Odisha government has acquired 2,100 acres of land for the proposed mega steel project by Posco-India in Jagatsinghpur district.
"State-owned Industrial Infrastructure Development Corporation (IDCO) has acquired 2,100 acres of land of which 546 acre had been handed over to Posco. Rest 1,554 acres is ready to be handed over to Posco," the status paper prepared by the state government said.
Another 600 acres of land for the purpose was expected to be acquired within four months.
The paper was prepared for the purpose of the second joint committee meeting at ministerial level in Seoul, South Korea on April 23, 2013, a senior official at the steel and mines department said.
Posco-India`s MoU with the state government for setting up its 12-mtpa greenfield steel facility near Paradip at an investment of Rs 51,000 crore, has meanwhile lapsed.
The company has reduced its land requirement from 4,004 acres to 2,700 acres for building 8 mtpa steel plant in the first phase.
Both the state government and the South Korean steel major have been working for establishment of the 8mtpa steel facility now instead of the initially proposed 12mtpa capacity mega steel plant, sources said.
Admitting that law and order problem at the project site was one of the reasons for the delay in implementation of the project, the state government said obtaining approval of forest diversion from the Ministry of Environment and Forest (MoEF) also consumed a lot of time.
The state government has also said that the MoEF while according approval for forest diversion of 2,959 acres of forest land, did not appreciate the swapping clause in the initial MoU. Therefore, discussion was held with the project authority to make certain changes, it said.
Since the project could not come up due to different factors, the state government`s status paper said it has decided to extend the validity of the MoU for another six years. "An instrument of tripatite agreement will be signed between Posco, Posco-India and the state government," the report said.
On the mineral concession issue, the status paper said that as the state government`s recommendation in favour of the South Korean steel major had been quashed by the Orissa High Court, the state filed a special leave petition (SLP) in the Supreme Court challenging the high court order.
Besides, Posco-India and Geomin Minerals and Marketing Private Limited have also filed SLPs in the Apex Coirt. "These SLPs are now sub-judice in the Supreme Court of India," the status report mentioned.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015