Odisha alerts fishermen over rough seas
Bhubaneswar: The met office in Odisha has issued an alert, warning fishermen against venturing into the sea as gusty winds and rough tides would prevail off the coast due to a depression in the Bay of Bengal, an official said on Thursday.
The depression, which formed two days ago over North Bay of Bengal and moved north-northwestwards, lay centred close to the West Bengal coast, a senior official of the Bhubaneswar meteorological centre said.
The system would weaken gradually into a low-pressure area during the next two days, the official said.
Strong and gusty surface wind speeds, reaching 40-50 km per hour (kmph) is likely to prevail along and off the state coast, he said.
Paradip and Gopalpur ports have been asked to hoist storm warning signal number one and fishermen have been advised not to venture into the sea off north Odisha, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- England vs Pakistan: Trevor Bayliss keen on hiring Saqlain Mushtaq as bowling consultant
- WATCH: EPIC! Here's who won after The Great Khali and Kane traded brutal chair shots
- India should continue fiscal consolidation for better prospect: IMF
- TCL launches new smartphone at Rs 10,990
- Gold price soars by Rs 250 to Rs 30,900 per 10 grams