Odisha announces Rs 4 lakh ex-gratia for cyclone, flood victims
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Tuesday made an aerial survey of flood hit districts and announced Rs 4 lakh as ex-gratia assistance to family members of each of those killed in cyclone Phailin and subsequent floods in the state.
"The Chief Minister has directed the authorities concerned to ensure that the victim`s families get the ex-gratia amount within 48 hours," an official release issued by the Chief Minister`s Office said.
Patnaik`s announcement came shortly after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announcing Rs 2 lakh each as ex-gratia assistance to the cyclone and flood victims. Singh also announced Rs 50,000 for those seriously injured.
During the day, Patnaik made an aerial survey of the flood hit Balasore, Mayurbhanj, Jajpur and Bhadrak districts.
He also reviewed the flood situation at Balasore and asked district collectors of Balasore, Bhadrak, Mayurbhanj and Jajpur to expedite relief and rescue in affected areas.
During a meeting with Vice Chairman of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), M Shashidhar Reddy, the Chief Minister proposed construction of pucca houses for people living within five km of the seashore.
Patnaik also proposed building more cyclone and flood shelters besides strengthening the existing ones in coastal areas.
Emphasis was also laid on launching concrete steps for creation of mangrove forests along the coastline in the state, official sources said.
Director General of NDRF Krishna Choudhury, who also met the Chief Minister, said half of NDRF`s strength had been deployed for the natural calamity in Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'
- Sunil Grover joining AIB? Here’s the truth
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place