Odisha announces Rs 4 lakh ex-gratia for cyclone, flood victims
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Tuesday made an aerial survey of flood hit districts and announced Rs 4 lakh as ex-gratia assistance to family members of each of those killed in cyclone Phailin and subsequent floods in the state.
"The Chief Minister has directed the authorities concerned to ensure that the victim`s families get the ex-gratia amount within 48 hours," an official release issued by the Chief Minister`s Office said.
Patnaik`s announcement came shortly after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh announcing Rs 2 lakh each as ex-gratia assistance to the cyclone and flood victims. Singh also announced Rs 50,000 for those seriously injured.
During the day, Patnaik made an aerial survey of the flood hit Balasore, Mayurbhanj, Jajpur and Bhadrak districts.
He also reviewed the flood situation at Balasore and asked district collectors of Balasore, Bhadrak, Mayurbhanj and Jajpur to expedite relief and rescue in affected areas.
During a meeting with Vice Chairman of National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), M Shashidhar Reddy, the Chief Minister proposed construction of pucca houses for people living within five km of the seashore.
Patnaik also proposed building more cyclone and flood shelters besides strengthening the existing ones in coastal areas.
Emphasis was also laid on launching concrete steps for creation of mangrove forests along the coastline in the state, official sources said.
Director General of NDRF Krishna Choudhury, who also met the Chief Minister, said half of NDRF`s strength had been deployed for the natural calamity in Odisha.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends