Odisha asks NHAI to modernise national highways
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government has
urged the National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) to
upgrade, maintain and modernise national highways in the
In course of discussions between the state government
and Secretary, Ministry of Road Transport and Highways A K
Upadhyay here, the Centre was urged for maintenance of roads
entrusted to NHAI.
At the meeting, Upadhyay pointed out that delay in
land acquisition has affected progress of several NH projects
in the state.
An additional road along NH-60, rehabilitation of a
bridge over river Jira on NH-6 near Bargarh, and declaration
of new highways in Odisha also figured at the talks, a senior
official of transport and commerce ministry said on Wednesday.
National highways pass through 27 districts in the
state touching 23 district headquarters and has a total length
of 3704 km.
The ministry has sanctioned eight consultancy projects
amounting to Rs 1526 lakh for preparation of DPR for
up gradation of 530.79 km.
Seven other projects have also been sanctioned for
double laning of 221.97 km at an estimated cost of Rs 581.69
crore, the official said.
The Centre has released Rs 507.98 crore under CRF
against 151 road and 21 bridge projects.
Out of this 132 roads and 21 bridges have utilised Rs
478.20 crore and work was on in 19 road projects.
The state has also demanded Rs 50 crore for repair and
restoration of national highways damaged by floods in
September this year.
Development Commissioner R N Senapati requested for
rationalization of distance between toll plazas, collection of
user fees and shifting of plazas within 10 km of the
municipality area on NH-5 & NH-5A.
The need for development of public amenities such as
rest sheds, toilets, restaurants at intervals of 50 km
and setting up of modern trauma care centres at strategic
locations on national highways were also highlighted at the
The government also stressed the need for
establishment of heavy vehicle driving institutes at Koraput,
Sambalpur, and Berhampur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- Kerala: Medical college prohibits girls from wearing jeans, noisy ornaments
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption