Odisha Assembly again crippled over hooch tragedy
Bhubaneswar: For the second consecutive day on Tuesday the opposition Congress and BJP MLAs staged noisy
protests in the well of the Assembly protesting the Speaker`s
refusal to allow a discussion on the recent hooch tragedy
which claimed 40 lives in the state.
While opposition members continued their demand for a
debate on the hooch tragedy, Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat again
rejected their plea saying he was unable to allow discussion
as a judicial enquiry was being conducted into the matter.
The House was adjourned for the day as the opposition
continued their stir in the well shouting slogans.
"I have already given a ruling that the issue cannot be
debated in the House as the matter is under the purview of
the Judicial Commission`s enquiry," Amat said.
The issue was raised by Leader of Opposition Bhupinder
Singh of Congress as soon as the House assembled for the day.
"The government is afraid of holding a discussion on the
matter. This BJD government is responsible for the death of 40
people," he alleged.
As deputy speaker Sananda Marandi allowed the ministers
to give reply of certain questions, the entire opposition
rushed to the well shouting anti-government slogans
and displayed placards.
"The Chief Minister is responsible for the hooch
tragedy," said one of the placards being displayed by the
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who was present in the
House, however, did not react to the opposition shouting.
BJP backed Independent MLA Pratap Sarangi climbed on
the reporters desk and delivered speech "blaming the
government for the death of 40 persons." BJP members were also
on their feet when Congress MLAs shouted in the well.
The House was adjourned twice during the pre-lunch
"As the Speaker rejected yesterday`s notice, we have
submitted another notice with different title. But, the fresh
notice had also been turned down by the Speaker," Congress
chief whip Prasad Harichandan said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie