Odisha Assembly mourns B Satyanarayan Reddy, adjourns till 29th
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Assembly on Tuesday paid rich tribute to the state`s former governor B Satyanarayan Reddy, six of its former members including two ex-ministers, and seven martyrs on the opening day of the winter session here.
Reddy, a freedom fighter, was governor of Odisha from June 1, 1993 to June 17, 1995, passed away on November 6. Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik made obituary references condoling the death of Reddy and others.
The legislature party leaders of Congress, BJP and CPI supported the obituary references. The House mourned the deaths and stood in silence for a minute as a mark of respect to the departed souls.
"There will be no more business in the House today as a mark of respect to the former governor and others. The House is adjourned till Friday," Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat said.
Besides Reddy, the assembly also mourned the death of former minister- Bhagirathi Gomang, Harihar Swain, former members Sarangdhar Pradhan, Manas Ranjan Mallick, Jagamohan Nayak and Kuliean Bage.
The security personnel whom the House paid tribute were: R N Mahakud (ex-ASI, CRPF), Lambodar Sahoo (ex-Lance Naik, defence force), Basanta Kumar Behera (ex-guard, defence force), Manik Khilla (ex-Gram Rakhi), Jabandhu Khemudu (ex-Gram Rakhi), Goura Chandra Dalai (ex-Gram Rakhi) and Bhagaban Nayak (ex-Gram Rakhi).
The winter session of the assembly will continue till December 22 which included 21 working days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir