Odisha Assembly passes Appripriation Bill, 2013
Bhubaneswar: Amidst a noisy protest by opposition Congress members in the well, Odisha Assembly on Thursday passed the Appropriation Bill, 2013 giving approval to the state government to spend Rs 9421.25 crore as supplementary budget.
"The supplementary budget was required in view of the massive destruction due to cyclone Phailin and resultant floods in parts of Odisha," Finance Minister Prasanna Acharya said while replying to the debate on the Bill.
Reconstruction and financial assistance in cyclone and flood-affected areas are given maximum emphasis in the budgetary provisions, he said adding more than Rs 2,000 crore was earmarked to be spent on reconstruction and rehabiliation of the cyclone and flood victims.
Acharya said Rs 2074 has been provided in non-plan budget and Rs 200 crore in the Plan Budget for relief, restoration and repair of cyclone and flood affected areas.
"We are expecting Rs 1800 crore from the NDRF and Rs 274.36 crore from SDRF besides assistance from World Bank and ADB.
Focusing on power sector, the Budget has earmarked Rs233.56 crore towards the state share in cost of land in the Bhedabahal Ultra Mega Power Plant (UMPP).
Opposition Congress which demanded resignation of revenue and disaster management minister S N Patro`s resignation on charge of misleading the Assembly by placing wrong information on central assistance for cyclone and flood, said it chose not be part of the Appropriation Bill debate.
"We cannot give key of the treasury to the state government headed by BJD for misleading the Assembly," said Congress Chief Whip Prasad Harichandan.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'