Odisha Assembly stalled for 2nd day over police excess
Bhubaneswar: Odisha assembly was stalled for the second consecutive day today over alleged police excess on opposition party activists and a journalist during a stir demanding arrest of former law minister Raghunath Mohanty, accused in a dowry torture case.
The house plunged into turmoil as soon as it assembled for the day as opposition Congress MLAs rushed to the well raising anti-government slogans condemning police excess on student activists and a journalist during the demonstsration at the Chief Minister`s residence yesterday.
Holding Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik responsible for the alleged police excess, Leader of Opposition Bhupinder Singh of Congress demanded resignation of the Chief Minister.
He said the student Congress activists were staging agitation demanding arrest of Mohanty against whom an FIR had been lodged by his daughter-in-law Barsa Swony Choudhury.
The BJP MLAs aired their protest by shouting anti-government slogans standing at their seats.
Speaker Pradip Kumar Amat first adjourned the house till 12 noon and then till 3 pm. When the house reassembled at 3 pm, Congress MLAs again created ruckus in the well.
The house was adjourned for the day after passing the Appropriation Bill amidst pandemonium.
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed?
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part II
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part III
- Will reality of AgustaWestland scam be revealed? - Part IV
- Why is "Make in India" given more importance than people dying of hunger?
- Research for 'Veerappan' took 15 years: Ram Gopal Varma
- ICSE ISC Results 2016: CISCE.org Board Class 10th (X) & 12th (XII) Result is likely to be declared on May 6, 2016
- Happy flying! Air tickets of 1-hour flights could cost just Rs 2,500
- DHSE Kerala HSC (+2) Result 2016: Keralaresults.nic.in Class 12th Plus two Result 2016 Kerala Board is likely to be declared on May 9, 2016
- Time flies! Emraan Hashmi reminisces four years of 'Jannat 2'