Odisha: At least 47 killed in flash flood, 1.2 crore people affected
Zee Media Bureau
Bhubansewar: At least 47 people have been killed and more than two lakh people are cut off from the rest of the state as flash floods inundated 129 villages in five blocks of Odisha`s cyclone-hit Ganjam district along with some areas in Gajapati.
The districts affected by the latest round of rains and floods include Gajapati, Kandhamal, Khurda, Puri, Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Kendrapada, Bhadrak, Balasore, Mayurbhanj and Nayagarh.
Heavy rains for the last 4 days have led to water level of the rivers crossing the danger mark. More rains are expected in the next two days.
About 1.2 crore people in 17 of the state`s 30 districts have affected, the government said.
The state administration has ordered closing down of schools and colleges in the flood affected areas.
Special Relief Commissioner PK Mohapatra said the collectors of all coastal districts have been directed to evacuate people from low-lying areas.
Two persons have died in wall collapse due to rain in Khallikote and Rangeilunda since yesterday, district emergency officer Mahendra Panda said.
About 40,000 marooned people had been evacuated from Patrapur, Sana Khemundi, Chikiti, Digappahandi, Hinjili, Sheragada and Purushottampur in Ganjam, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them