Odisha BJP leader ends fast after five days
Bhubaneswar: Senior Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Ashok Sahu, who went on a hunger strike demanding action in the murder of a Hindu leader in Odisha five years ago, Thursday broke his five-day fast.
"I broke my fast after requests from senior party leaders," Sahu told a news agency.
"My sincere thanks to all my friends and well-wishers for their concern. My fight for truth and justice will continue," he said.
The 60-year-old leader, a former Assam cadre Indian Police Service (IPS) officer, had launched the protest at Phulbani town in Kandhamal district, about 200 km from here.
After a cardiac problem, he was shifted to the Sriram Chandra Bhanja medical college and hospital, the state`s leading government hospital at Cuttack.
Although he continued his fast in the intensive care unit of the hospital, BJP leaders in the past few days persuaded him to call off the fast over health concerns.
Sahu has been demanding the arrest of the main accused and all those who conspired in the killing of Vishwa Hindu Parishad (VHP) leader Swami Laxmanananda Saraswati and his four aides in Kandhamal Aug 23, 2008.
The murders had triggered widespread communal violence, in which at least 38 people were killed.
Several people were arrested in connection with the crime and a chargesheet was filed the following year. But Sahu has alleged that the main accused and all those who conspired in the killing were still at large.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22