Odisha businessman honoured in Taiwan
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s well-known social entrepreneur Achyuta Samanta has been conferred an honorary doctorate by a university in Taiwan, said his office here Monday.
The National Formosa University, considered one of the best public universities of Taiwan, conferred the Degree of Doctorate (Honoris Causa) on Samanta at its annual convocation ceremony June 9.
The university honour came in recognition to Samanta`s outstanding contribution towards the society and for his initiative to educate the underprivileged tribal children, Samanta`s office here said in a statement.
Samanta is the founder of KIIT (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology) - a group of professional institutes, KIIT University and KISS (Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences).
Located in Bhubaneswar, KISS is home to more than 16,000 tribal children who receive free educational and vocational training.
Samanta is member of several important government committees in India, including the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The National Formosa University confers the honour usually on world personalities, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hrithik Roshan, Pooja Hegde drench in colours of old-age romance in 'Sarsariya' from 'Mohenjo Daro'!
- Wayne Rooney aims to take up coaching after retirement
- Need for 'Sharia' like laws to check crimes against women: MNS chief Raj Thackeray
- Muttiah Muralitharan: Sri Lanka cricket files complaint against former off-spinner for insulting team manager
- SC allows Mumbai rape survivor to terminate 24-week-old abnormal foetus