Odisha businessman honoured in Taiwan
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s well-known social entrepreneur Achyuta Samanta has been conferred an honorary doctorate by a university in Taiwan, said his office here Monday.
The National Formosa University, considered one of the best public universities of Taiwan, conferred the Degree of Doctorate (Honoris Causa) on Samanta at its annual convocation ceremony June 9.
The university honour came in recognition to Samanta`s outstanding contribution towards the society and for his initiative to educate the underprivileged tribal children, Samanta`s office here said in a statement.
Samanta is the founder of KIIT (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology) - a group of professional institutes, KIIT University and KISS (Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences).
Located in Bhubaneswar, KISS is home to more than 16,000 tribal children who receive free educational and vocational training.
Samanta is member of several important government committees in India, including the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The National Formosa University confers the honour usually on world personalities, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes