Odisha businessman honoured in Taiwan
Bhubaneswar: Odisha`s well-known social entrepreneur Achyuta Samanta has been conferred an honorary doctorate by a university in Taiwan, said his office here Monday.
The National Formosa University, considered one of the best public universities of Taiwan, conferred the Degree of Doctorate (Honoris Causa) on Samanta at its annual convocation ceremony June 9.
The university honour came in recognition to Samanta`s outstanding contribution towards the society and for his initiative to educate the underprivileged tribal children, Samanta`s office here said in a statement.
Samanta is the founder of KIIT (Kalinga Institute of Industrial Technology) - a group of professional institutes, KIIT University and KISS (Kalinga Institute of Social Sciences).
Located in Bhubaneswar, KISS is home to more than 16,000 tribal children who receive free educational and vocational training.
Samanta is member of several important government committees in India, including the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The National Formosa University confers the honour usually on world personalities, the release said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000km strategic road
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets gift of 2000 km strategic road - Part II
- OP Jaisha marathon row: Vijay Goyal passes the buck to IOA, assures probe
- Xiaomi likely to unveil Redmi Note 4 on August 25
- Natural to express grief over mistreatment of Dalits: LK Advani
- Hundreds of NASA's studies now available online for free!
- Status of political parties to be reviewed every 10 years