Odisha CM announces winter assistance for 37 lakh people
Bhubaneswar: With mercury level dipping below 10 degrees Celsius in most of the interior parts of Odisha, the state government on Monday announced Rs 200 winter assistance each for the elderly, widows and disabled persons.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik as the minimum temperature in tribal dominated Kandhamal and Keonjhar districts recorded below 10 degrees C.
While Phulbani, the district headquarters town of Kandhamal recorded 8.4 degrees C today, the lowest temperature at Keonjhar district was 9.3 degrees C.
About 37 lakh beneficiaries will get Rs 200 each on December 15 along with their monthly allowances, an official said.
While 27 lakh persons availing old age pension will be benefited from the announcement, six lakh widows on monthly pension will get the winter assistance.
Similarly, four lakh disabled persons will also get the coverage, they said.
An estimated Rs 74 crore will be spent for providing winter clothes for such people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre