Odisha CM announces winter assistance for 37 lakh people
Bhubaneswar: With mercury level dipping below 10 degrees Celsius in most of the interior parts of Odisha, the state government on Monday announced Rs 200 winter assistance each for the elderly, widows and disabled persons.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik as the minimum temperature in tribal dominated Kandhamal and Keonjhar districts recorded below 10 degrees C.
While Phulbani, the district headquarters town of Kandhamal recorded 8.4 degrees C today, the lowest temperature at Keonjhar district was 9.3 degrees C.
About 37 lakh beneficiaries will get Rs 200 each on December 15 along with their monthly allowances, an official said.
While 27 lakh persons availing old age pension will be benefited from the announcement, six lakh widows on monthly pension will get the winter assistance.
Similarly, four lakh disabled persons will also get the coverage, they said.
An estimated Rs 74 crore will be spent for providing winter clothes for such people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Watch: NASA releases best images of Pluto's largest moon, Charon