Odisha CM announces winter assistance for 37 lakh people
Bhubaneswar: With mercury level dipping below 10 degrees Celsius in most of the interior parts of Odisha, the state government on Monday announced Rs 200 winter assistance each for the elderly, widows and disabled persons.
The announcement was made by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik as the minimum temperature in tribal dominated Kandhamal and Keonjhar districts recorded below 10 degrees C.
While Phulbani, the district headquarters town of Kandhamal recorded 8.4 degrees C today, the lowest temperature at Keonjhar district was 9.3 degrees C.
About 37 lakh beneficiaries will get Rs 200 each on December 15 along with their monthly allowances, an official said.
While 27 lakh persons availing old age pension will be benefited from the announcement, six lakh widows on monthly pension will get the winter assistance.
Similarly, four lakh disabled persons will also get the coverage, they said.
An estimated Rs 74 crore will be spent for providing winter clothes for such people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review