Odisha CM orders probe into custodial death
Berhampur: Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Friday ordered a high-level inquiry into the death of an accused in police custody in Odisha`s Ganjam district.
“Action will be taken against the guilty persons,” the chief minister said at Hinjili, about 25 km from here during his brief visit to his own Assembly constituency. At least two police personnel have been suspended, official sources said.
The victim, identified as Dayanidhi Nayak (30) of Khandianai village attempted suicide in the police lock-up by hanging himself from the railing by using his towel at Kabisurya Nagar Police Station. He was rushed to hospital where he died yesterday, police said.
Nayak was arrested earlier on the same day on charge of kidnapping a 14-year-old girl of Kabisurya Nagar on Tuesday, police said.
The girl was, however, rescued by the police team. The accused attempted suicide before he could be forwarded to judicial custody, Inspector-in-charge, Kabisurya Nagar, SLK Prasad, said.
Meanwhile, Pratima Behera and PK Pradhan, sub inspector and sentry respectively, were suspended on charge of negligence of duty, SP(Ganjam) Asish Singh said.
The SP admitted that the incident took place due to negligence of policemen on duty. Further action was likely to be taken against the persons after getting report from the DSP, Human Protection Cell, he said.
“I have already asked the DSP to conduct an inquiry into the incident and submit the report,” SP said.
During his brief visit to his own constituency Hinjili, Patnaik inaugurated at least nine different projects.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Videos of Indian casualties on Pakistani channels 'doctored', say Army sources
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’