Odisha CM speaks to abducted MLA`s wife
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik on Sautrday spoke to the wife of abducted Laxmipur MLA Jhina Hikaka and assured her of all possible steps by the government for securing the release of her husband.
"I spoke to Kaushalya, wife of the abducted MLA, and assured her that we will do everything possible for the release of her young husband," Patnaik told reporters.
She was also told that two ministers would be visiting
her soon, the chief minister said.
The BJD MLA was today abducted by Maoists when he was
returning to his home at Laxmipur after attending a political
meeting at Koraput at around 1 am.
More than 50 armed rebels stopped his vehicle near
Toyaput where the road had been dug up and a truck blocked the
While the personal security officer (PSO) and driver of
the MLA were allowed to leave by the ultras who snatched away
their mobile phones, Hikaka was taken away into the nearby
forest, about 40 km from here at gunpoint.
The abduction of the tribal MLA has added to the problems
of the Odisha government which is trying to resolve the
10-day-old Italian hostage crisis.
The incident happened hours after Patnaik appealed to
the rebels to desist from violence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'