Odisha Cong alleges rampant plunder of BPL rice
Bhubaneswar: Alleging rampant corruption and plundering of BPL rice, minerals and from gullible through chit fund during BJD rule in Odisha, the Congress on Sunday claimed it would capture power in the next polls by dumping the Naveen Patnaik government in Bay of Bengal.
Addressing a function to accord a reception to the new OPCC President Jayadeb Jenan, senior party leaders including Union Minister Srikant Jena slammed the BJD government of failing on all fronts and vowed to fight it unitedly.
"Congress will make all efforts to return to power in Odisha and throw the BJD government in the Bay of Bengal. The state has been a victim of largescale corruption during the BJD rule," the new PCC president said.
Alleging corruption in almost all spheres, Jena said apart from gross irregularities in mining of iron ore and coal, the state witnessed loot of rice supplied by the Centre for people living below the poverty line (BPL).
Though the Centre provided 35 kg for each BPL families per month, the state gave them only 25 kg each, thereby diverting 10 kg of rice meant for each of the poor families, the PCC chief and others claimed.
Referring to chit fund scam, the Congress leader said there are reports about ministers and legislators receiving huge money from some non-banking financial institutions and these allegations must be throughly probed by an independent agency like CBI.
Taking strong exception to demolition of temples and religious places that have come up illegally on government land in Cuttack, Jena said the action of the government had hurt the sentiments of people.
Under the circumstances, people are desperately looking for a change and Congress would put up a united battle to defeat BJD at the hustings, Jena said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray