Odisha continues culling of fowls, crow deaths
Bhubaneswar: Bird flu scare continued to
grip Odisha as more crow deaths were reported even as the
state government continued its culling operation at Keranga
area in Khurda district for the second consecutive day.
"As many as 11,260 fowls were eliminated on Friday in Keranga
area. Besides, chicken from a particular private poultry firm
at Keranga, fowls of small hatcheries were culled today," said
Gopal Tripathy, state government`s nodal officer for culling.
While two teams comprising live stock inspectors,
veterinary doctors had been undertaking culling at the private
firms having about 28,000 poultry, local people today
voluntarily offered their fowls, Tripathy said.
The culling operation started yesterday after the state
government was directed by the Centre to kill the infected
fowls following detection of H5N1 virus in some chicken in
The culling process was being carried in 19 villages
including Keranga with adequate compensation for affected
While culling was on in 3 km radius of Keranga,
surveillance work was undertaken in villages within its ten km
radius to detect any possible outbreak of avian influenza,
official sources said.
Meanwhile, Tripathy said that more cases of crow
deaths including from the state capital, was received at the
fisheries and animal resource development department.
Death of about 1263 crows was received from 12
districts, he said.
Though certain serum samples of crows were sent to
laboratory for examination, the state government was yet to
receive any confirmation regarding cause of the crow deaths,
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state