Odisha couple held for selling their children
Bhubaneswar: A couple was detained in Odisha`s capital Bhubaneswar for allegedly selling their three children, including a new-born baby, for money, police said Thursday.
Shyama Chandra Rao, 35, and his wife Pramila, 29, residents of a slum here are daily wage earners.
They were detained following a complaint by local child welfare committee, police official MK Swain, who is investigating the case, told IANS.
He said the couple live in abject poverty and are the biological parents of three children.
The couple allegedly sold the children to different people in the past couple of months, Swain said.
The matter came to light when they sold their third son, a 22-day-old baby, for Rs 6,000 to Ranjit Choudhuri and his wife Chandini who reside in the same slum July 9. The sale was made through a deed made on stamp paper.
Swain said police have located all three children.
The couple have been detained for questioning. Necessary legal action will be taken if the allegations were found to be true, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- Sister aka stylist Rhea Kapoor speaks about Sonam's fashion secrets
- Overhaul Indian sports bodies and de-link from Political patronage to overcome Rio fiasco: CPI-M
- Fawad Khan has short yet pivotal role in 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil': Karan Johar
- Looks like it takes a lot of men to doll up Sunny Leone- See pic
- Lemon: An ideal ingredient for your glowing skin, good health