Odisha court asks boy to clean hospital for theft
Bhubaneswar: A court in Odisha has ordered a boy to clean the outdoor of a hospital for six months as he was found guilty in a theft case, a government lawyer said on Saturday.
Namita Das, Chief Judicial Magistrate at Bhadrak, about 140 km from here, awarded this punishment to the 17-year-old boy (name withheld) after holding him guilty on Friday of stealing about Rs 20,000 from the house of a villager in August last year.
"The court awarded this punishment so that he could correct himself because it was his first crime," lawyer Jatikanta Nayak told a news agency.
Khudiram Sahu, a resident of Randia village on the outskirts of the district headquarters town of Bhadrak, had lodged a police complaint that Rs 51,000 were stolen from his house August 6, 2011.
Police arrested two minor boys after recovering from their houses Rs 20,000 and Rs 12,000 respectively. The court, however, acquitted the other boy for lack of conclusive evidence.
"The court ordered him to clean the hospital outdoor complex for six months from May 1," the lawyer said. "This is for the first time in the state that a court has given a judgment like this," he added.
Citing the judgment, the lawyer said the boy would have to report to the chief district medical officer at Bhadrak who will supervise his work and submit a periodic report to the court on the implementation of the court order. "The boy has to clean the floor of the hospital outdoor complex every day," he said.
Earlier, the Odisha High Court in September last year had granted bail to a 19-year-old youth accused of misbehaving with a young girl at a marriage function in the state on the condition that he would polish the shoes of devotees at a temple for three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- RBI wants to liberalise while strengthening bond markets: Raghuram Rajan
- After Rio Olympics failure, Tintu Luka's uncle blames coach PT Usha for below-par training
- Narsingh Yadav would have won the silver, claims WFI official
- PM Modi, Shah to address CMs of BJP-ruled states on Saturday
- AAP removes Punjab chief for alleged corruption