Odisha cracks down on pre-birth gender tests
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government has decided to launch a sting operation to trap those who attempt to determine the sex of unborn children, an official said on Thursday.
According to Census 2011, the state now has 934 girls under six years old for every 1,000 boys in that age range.
Although the prenatal sex determination test is illegal in India, it continues to be done in several places, with some doctors and health centres using ultrasound machines for the purpose.
The state government has now decided to trap doctors and health centres that continue to perform prenatal sex determination tests, state health secretary PK Mohapatra told a news agency.
The health secretary said that decoys would be sent to approach health centres and nursing homes. A spy camera could be used for the purpose of recording the conversations and activities that occur inside nursing homes suspected to be conducting prenatal sex determination tests. The recordings could later serve as evidence, Mohapatra said.
While the government has decided to form five special teams at the state level, district collectors have been asked to form their own teams to conduct such operations, the health secretary said.
Mohapatra said the government had also made budgetary provision to reward the people who help it to trap offenders.
"We have already trapped some people. In the last two months, at least 20 ultrasound machines that were used for prenatal sex determination tests were seized from different places of the state," Mohapatra said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Turkey will give full support to operation to retake Syria's Jarablus from Islamic State: Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu
- WATCH: What is PV Sindhu's equation with Saina Nehwal? Her reply will surprise you
- Iraq executions carried out without proper trial, fuelled by vengeance: UN
- India to buy 500 helicopters, 12 submarines, over 200 fighter jets in next 10 years: Report
- Pakistan denies Dawood's presence in Karachi, says 'UN report motivated by India's aim to malign us'