Odisha demands assistance of Rs 1590 cr for 2nd phase of flood
Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government on Monday submitted a supplementary memorandum to the Centre seeking an assistance of Rs 1590 crore for the second phase of flood in the state from October 21 to 26.
"The state government seeks an additional Central assistance of Rs 1590.09 crore out of NDRF to complete the process of relief and restoration measures on account of heavy rain and flood during October 21-26," Special Relief Commissioner P K Mohapatra said.
The state government submitted the memorandum to the visiting inter-ministerial central team headed by Rashmi Goel.
Earlier, the state government had submitted a similar memorandum to Union Home Secretary Anil Goswami demanding Rs 4242.41 crore as central assistance for the damage caused due to cyclone Phailin and resultant floods.
Stating that the severe cyclonic storm Phailin that struck Odisha on October 12 caused extensive devastation in 18 out of 30 districts, the state government in its supplementary memo said incessant rain under the impact of cyclone also caused severe floods in northern Odisha.
"Before normalcy was restored, incessant rainfall from October 21 to 26 due to low pressure triggered yet another crisis, creating flood situations in Rusikulya, Vansadhara, Baitarani, Budhabalanga, Subarnarekha and other rivers affecting 13 districts," it said.
The district affected in the second phase of flood were: Ganjam, Gajapati, Puri, Nayagarh, Khordha, Cuttack, Jagatsinghpur, Kandhamal, Kendrapada, Jajpur, Bhadrak, Balasore and Mayurbhanj.
Continued heavy rain also severely hit relief operations in the areas which were affected by the severe cyclonic storm Phailin and floods following that. Lakhs of people were marooned and vast patches of agricultural land inundated due to the fresh downpour and floods, it said.
Agriculture lands have been sand cast due to floods/ flash floods, it said adding due to continued rainfall, houses of people and public infrastructure, especially roads and embankments, have been severely damaged.
Official figures show as many as 4,611 villages under 589 GPs of 68 blocks have been affected. Over 2.29 lakh people have been evacuated so far and provided cooked food or dry rations. At least 15 people have died in the second phase floods, the memorandum said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- CBSE (cbse.nic.in ) Class X results 2015: CBSE Class 10th Board results likely to be declared tomorrow on cbseresults.nic.in