Odisha designates 4 ADJs to deal with chit-fund cases
Bhubaneswar: In a bid to expedite the process of attaching properties of ponzi scheme companies which allegedly duped lakhs of investors in the state, Odisha government on Wednesday said four additional district judges (ADJs) have been appointed as the designated courts for the purpose.
Additional Chief Secretary (Finance) U N Behera said the ADJ courts in Balasore, Berhampur, Cuttack and Sambalpur has been designated to deal with cases relating to chit-funds.
The properties of the ponzi scheme companies would be attached under the provisions of Odisha Protection of Interest of Depositors (in Financial Establishments) Act, 2011.
"The newly enacted law has been implemented in the state and we have appointed judges in the designated courts. Additional District Magistrates (ADMs) of these four districts have also been declared as the competent authorities to deal with the attachment of property of the companies involved in the Chitgate," Behera said.
The ADMs have been entrusted to deal with the attachment and sale of the properties. The competent authority will seek the designated court`s permission and take custody of the seizure following which the latter will hold a hearing to decide on the auction as well as reimbursement process. Thereafter, it will chalk out a list of investors eligible for repayment, said sources.
A high level meeting chaired by chief secretary J K Mohapatra held during the day decided to expedite the process to get the designated courts functional. "The properties of the chit fund companies will be attached as soon as possible," he said.
Meanwhile, the Crime Branch of Police have arrested a number of people including CMDs of some ponzi companies allegedly involved in loot of the innocent investors.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral