Odisha DGP for combing operation in cut off area of Malkangiri
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Police on Friday said it was planning to start combing operation in cut off areas of Malkangiri district in order to flush out Maoists even as the red rebels allegedly kidnapped three persons in the district.
"We should start operation in the cut off areas. I have come here to review the situation and oversee how logistics can be provided to jawans," Director General of Police Prakash Mishra told reporters after visiting a BSF camp at Badapa village under Chitrakonda police station area of Malkangiri district.
Mishra is the first DGP of Odisha who visited Maoist stronghold of Chitrakonda area in a decade. "I find situation is also improving in cut off area as we have BSF camps on both sides of river Gurupriya," the DGP said.
He said the police would request the state government to float fresh tenders for construction of a bridge over river Gurupriya for smooth movement. The state government has so far failed to set up the bridge over the river as contractors are afraid of undertaking construction there due to Maoist activities.
"Now we are in a position to provide security for construction of the bridge," Mishra said.
Cut off area under Chitrakonda police station is the place where the Maoists in 2011 had kidnapped the then Malkangiri district collector R Vineel Krishna. The police failed to venture into the area as the cut off area could not be accessed due to high Maoist presence.
Asked about the alleged kidnapping of three persons of Mahulapadara village by Maoists on the night of April 30, the DGP said the ultras used to adopt this tactics when police attempt to undertake any operation.
"We hope they (Maoists) will release the innocent villagers whom they kidnapped suspecting them as police informers," he said.
Earlier on April 24, the ultras had killed two persons and released another after abducting them from Kyang village under the same police station here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka