Odisha dowry case: Barsa expresses faith on CM
Bhubaneswar: Barsha Sony Choudhury, who has filed a case of dowry torture on former Odisha law minister and father-in-law Raghunath Mohanty and his family Tuesday said she suspected `pressure` on the police, but had faith in Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik.
"I am not sure, but I feel that there could be pressure on the police from the government side to avoid my father-in-law Raghunath Mohanty`s arrest. This could be the reason why he and other in-laws have not been arrested so far," Barsa told reporters while seeking the chief minister`s intervention.
Barsa, a B Tech degree holder, who married Mohanty`s son Rajasree in June last year, said she had faith on Patnaik because the chief minister had taken several steps to help women.
"As the CM he has all along worked for welfare of women and given justice. I hope he will do so in may case too," she said.
Stating that it as was natural on her part to suspect pressure on the police, Barsa said that her father-in-law was a senior leader of the ruling BJD and also a long time minister.
"Besides, my father-in-law is also considered close to the chief minister," she said.
Replying a question, Barsa said "It appears that law is taking its own course. But all the accused persons including the former minister should be arrested and put behind bars at least for a day or two."
She said "They should realise the pain of torturing an innocent girl like me. I recall, how the entire family went out after locking me in a big bungalow."
Barsa`s father-in-law Mohanty had resigned from the council of ministers on March 15, a day after she filed an FIR against her inlaws at Balasore Town Police Station.
The Human Rights Protection Cell (HRPC) of the police has arrested Mohanty`s son Rajasree.
Mohanty and other family members have moved the Orissa High Court seeking quashing of the case and anticipatory bail.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video