Odisha ex-DGP`s son Bitti sent to judicial custody
Jaipur: A local court has sent former Odisha police chief`s son Bitti Mohanty, who had jumped parole in 2006 while serving a sentence for raping a German tourist, to judicial custody.
Bitti, the son of former Odisha DGP BB Mohanty, who was brought to Jaipur by Kerala Police on May 25, was produced in the court of Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate yesterday, who ordered to send Bitti to judicial custody.
Jaipur police had asked the Court for Bitti`s police custody but the same was refused.
Mohanty was arrested for raping a German tourist in Rajasthan`s Alwar district on March 21, 2006 and convicted on April 12 the same year.
He was sentenced to seven years` imprisonment on rape charges and lodged in Jaipur jail. In November 2006, he secured parole to meet his ailing mother but did not return.
Bitti was arrested in March this year from Kerala`s Kannur district where he was working with a bank under false identity of Raghav Rajan.
During the hearing yesterday, the Jaipur Police claimed that the person was Bitti Mohanty but his counsel argued that he was Raghav Rajan, and not Bitti.
After arguments, the Court granted him bail but since the bail bonds could not be produced before the magistrate, Bitti was sent to judicial custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16