Odisha farmers shift harvested crops after cyclone threat
Bhubaneswar: Odisha farmers Wednesday rushed to shift their harvested paddy left in the fields to safer places as Cyclone Lehar threatens to lash the state with heavy rain.
Agriculture Department director R.Santhagopalan told IANS that the total area under the paddy cultivation during this Kharif season was 3.6 million hectares and the harvested crops in about fifteen percent of the area are still lying in the open.
"We have asked the farmers not to leave their harvested crops in the open. They have started moving their crops from the fields. Those who have not done are likely to move it by Wednesday evening," he added.
The Cyclone Lehar, which hit the Andaman and Nicobar Islands with wind speed of over 110 km per hour Sunday, lay centred about 725 km south-southeast of Gopalpur, off Odisha coast.
It would intensify and move west-northwestwards and cross Andhra Pradesh coast between Machilipatnam and Kalingapatnam near Kakinada around noon Nov 28, the weather office forecast.
Although there is no visible damage in Odisha at this point, Bhubaneswar Met Office has predicted widespread rain and has asked the authorities to take adequate measures against standing crops in southern and western parts of the state.
Disaster Rapid Action Force (DRAF) teams have been sent to ten southern and western districts which could witness heavy rainfall and flooding, an official said.
The latest alert has triggered fear among the coastal residents as the Bay of Bengal has already witnessed two severe cyclones since October.
Cyclone Helen hit the coast last week, forcing authorities to evacuate thousands of people in Andhra Pradesh. It killed six people and caused extensive damage to standing crops in that state.
The cyclone hit the coast weeks after another severe tropical cyclone, Phailin, in the Bay of Bengal devastated lives and damaged properties in more than 17 districts in Odisha after making landfall Oct 12 night near Gopalpur in the state`s Ganjam district.
Santhagopalan said Odisha expected a bumper Kharif output of 10 million tonnes this year. The target is now 6.3 million tonne as more than 20 percent crops were damaged by Cyclone Phailin and subsequent floods.
Odisha contributes about a seventh of India`s total rice production, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM