Odisha favours auction-based allocation of mineral resources
Bhubaneswar: Odisha favours auction-based system for allocation of mineral resources, including coal, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik today said.
"Our government has been asking for the auction-based system for the last few years. While the Centre has done it (auction) for coal recently, it is yet to do it for other minerals," Patnaik told reporters here.
Patnaik`s statement on the coal issue came a day after Union Coal Minister Sripakash Jaiswal claimed that the bidding process for coal block allocation could not be implemented due to strong opposition from five coal-rich states, including Odisha.
The other states mentioned by him were Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh, Jharkhand and West Bengal.
Coal is a subject on which the Centre has complete authority, Patnaik said adding his government had always stood for value addition within Odisha which meant more jobs for local people and more revenue for development programmes of the state government.
Criticising the Centre`s alleged `soft attitude` towards mine owners, Patnaik said he had been demanding imposition of Mineral Resource Rent Tax on the `super normal` profits made by private iron ore mines.
"This has been rejected by the Centre on extremely flimsy ground. This itself shows the attitude of the central government," he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video