Odisha flood situation grim, toll rises to 28
Bhubaneswar: The flood situation in Odisha, triggered by cyclone Failin and resultant heavy rains, remained grim today as the major rivers were in spate, leaving about one lakh people marooned as the death toll in the calamities mounted to 28.
Three days of rains due to the peripheral effect of the high-velocity cyclone, which ravaged the vast coastal belt including worst hit Ganjam, triggered floods in major rivers in northern parts of the state.
Relief and restoration work was stepped up in areas ravaged by the twin calamities of the cyclone and resultant floods which affected over 1.2 crore people in more than 16,000 villages and claimed the lives of 28 persons seven of whom perished in floods. Two fresh deaths were reported from Keonjhar and Kandhamal districts.
While water level in rivers like Budhabalang and Jalaka started receding, giving respite to the affected people in some parts of the worst-hit Balasore, mighty Subarnarekha was still in spate and it is feared to submerge vast areas in Basta, Baliapal, Bhogarai and Jaleswar areas of the district, official sources said.
Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik made an aerial survey of flood-hit Balasore, Jajpur, Bhadrak and Mayurbhanj districts this afternoon. Patnaik has decided not to celebrate his birthday tomorrow in view of the disaster, they said.
As relief and restoration work was intensified, three senior ministers were entrusted with the task of supervising the entire operation. While Agriculture Minister Debi Prasad Mishra was sent to Balasore, Health Minister Damodar Rout went to Mayurbhanj and Panchayatraj Minister Kalpataru Das would monitor the operation in Ganjam.
Describing as "grave" the situation caused by sudden floods in the five districts following the cyclone-induced heavy rains as "grave", Revenue and Disaster Management Minister S N Patro said around one lakh people were still marooned in flood-hit Balasore and Jajpur districts.
Cyclone and floods affected around 1.2 crore people in 16,487 villages of 2015 gram panchayats and 43 urban local bodies spread over 148 blocks of the state, he said.
While standing crops with over 6,25,408 hectare area had been destroyed, 3,76,608 houses were damaged due to the cyclone and floods, the minister said adding 2,30,000 houses were damaged in Ganjam district alone followed by 63,715 in Puri district.
Stating that over 9.9 lakh people had been evacuated ahead of the cyclone that made a landfall at Gopalpur in Ganjam district on Saturday night, Patro said 1,12,241 people were evacuated in flood-hit areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'