Odisha flood situation improves, toll rises to 37
Bhubaneswar: The death toll in the Odisha floods rose to 37 on Friday even as situation improved in most parts of the state, reports said.
Two more deaths were reported in the state taking the toll in rain- and flood-related incidents since July to 37, a senior official of the state revenue department said.
“The flood situation improved in most of the districts with water level in all the rivers falling below danger level,” he added.
However, thousands of people continued to live in relief camps and on embankments as their houses were either submerged in flood water or were damaged, he said.
The floods have hit nearly 2.5 million people and half a million live stocks in 23 of state`s 30 districts. About 1.6 lakh people in 281 villages were still marooned, he said. The number of livestock killed in the floods stands at 90.
The floods have damaged crops over 2.4 million hectares, he said
The official said that 210 free kitchens were being run to provide free meals to over 73,000 people displaced by floods.
The rains and floods had damaged 23626 houses, he added.
Earlier, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who took an aerial view of flood affected areas of Cuttack, Jajpur, Kendrapara, Bhadrak and Puri districts, had also said that the situation was improving and hoped normalcy would return soon.
Patnaik had announced relief for seven days to the people in areas badly affected by floods.
“As many as 17.88 lakh people in 3,990 villages of 132 blocks in 1,084 gram panchayats spread over 23 districts have so far been affected due to the floods,” Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) PK Mohapatra had said.
"Though Mahanadi river is flowing above danger mark at several places, there is no threat of substantial damage as the flow of water has come down," he had assured.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Give up terrorism and let’s talk', Sushma Swaraj's reply to Nawaz Sharif at UNGA
- Lalu Yadav attacks PM Modi over Mahatma Gandhi's assassination
- Whole world is worried about global warming and climate change, says PM Modi
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Watch: Unbelievable! Kapil Sharma thrown out of Aishwarya Rai’s vanity van
- 1st T20: India vs South Africa – Players to watch out for
- Know who replaced Katrina Kaif in film opposite Jackie Chan
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview