Odisha flood situation improves, toll rises to 37
Bhubaneswar: The death toll in the Odisha floods rose to 37 on Friday even as situation improved in most parts of the state, reports said.
Two more deaths were reported in the state taking the toll in rain- and flood-related incidents since July to 37, a senior official of the state revenue department said.
“The flood situation improved in most of the districts with water level in all the rivers falling below danger level,” he added.
However, thousands of people continued to live in relief camps and on embankments as their houses were either submerged in flood water or were damaged, he said.
The floods have hit nearly 2.5 million people and half a million live stocks in 23 of state`s 30 districts. About 1.6 lakh people in 281 villages were still marooned, he said. The number of livestock killed in the floods stands at 90.
The floods have damaged crops over 2.4 million hectares, he said
The official said that 210 free kitchens were being run to provide free meals to over 73,000 people displaced by floods.
The rains and floods had damaged 23626 houses, he added.
Earlier, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik, who took an aerial view of flood affected areas of Cuttack, Jajpur, Kendrapara, Bhadrak and Puri districts, had also said that the situation was improving and hoped normalcy would return soon.
Patnaik had announced relief for seven days to the people in areas badly affected by floods.
“As many as 17.88 lakh people in 3,990 villages of 132 blocks in 1,084 gram panchayats spread over 23 districts have so far been affected due to the floods,” Special Relief Commissioner (SRC) PK Mohapatra had said.
"Though Mahanadi river is flowing above danger mark at several places, there is no threat of substantial damage as the flow of water has come down," he had assured.
With agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre