Odisha floods: Death toll reaches 40, over 35 lakh affected
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
Puri: The death toll due to heavy floods in parts of Odisha has reached 40 and about 35 lakh people have been severely hit with the incessant rains across 23 districts in the state.
With rain refusing to relent and government response failing to match up to the plight of those affected, Odisha faces a major crisis.
Across the state, more than 5,300 villages have been affected with 460 of them marooned by heavy flood waters. The downpour has affected 3, 22,163 hectares of agricultural land as well.
The government has said that it is doing its best to handle the crisis with 40 teams from both state and national disaster response forces dispatched to affected areas. Free kitchens at 200-odd places coupled by over 100 medical teams and 365 boats to help those affected by the floods are part of the government`s rehabilitation plans.
However, what may prove to be an impediment to the government`s plans, is the Met department`s forecast for more rain in the state.
With Agency inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional