Odisha Governor orders Lokpal probe into Cong rally clash
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Governor M C Bhandare Wednesday ordered a Lokpal probe into the violence at a recent Congress rally where over 260 people including 60 police personnel were injured, Raj Bhavan sources said.
The order came in response to the demand of Congress leaders who alleged that their workers and leaders were mercilessly beaten up by the police while they were holding a meeting at the Mahatma Gandhi Marg on September 6.
"Our people were beaten up by the police without any provocation," the Congress in a memorandum to the Governor had said. A delegation of the Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) led by its President Niranjan Patnaik had also met Bhandare at Raj Bhavan.
Sources said a copy of the Governor`s order was sent to the Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for information.
Congress had also called an Odisha Bandh on September 10 in protest against alleged police excess.
The violence during the Congress rally had drawn wide attention due to assault and alleged molestation of a woman constable by the mob.
The National Commission for Women was also probing into the incident and its member visited the city and met the injured woman cop.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata