Odisha Governor orders Lokpal probe into Cong rally clash
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Governor M C Bhandare Wednesday ordered a Lokpal probe into the violence at a recent Congress rally where over 260 people including 60 police personnel were injured, Raj Bhavan sources said.
The order came in response to the demand of Congress leaders who alleged that their workers and leaders were mercilessly beaten up by the police while they were holding a meeting at the Mahatma Gandhi Marg on September 6.
"Our people were beaten up by the police without any provocation," the Congress in a memorandum to the Governor had said. A delegation of the Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) led by its President Niranjan Patnaik had also met Bhandare at Raj Bhavan.
Sources said a copy of the Governor`s order was sent to the Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for information.
Congress had also called an Odisha Bandh on September 10 in protest against alleged police excess.
The violence during the Congress rally had drawn wide attention due to assault and alleged molestation of a woman constable by the mob.
The National Commission for Women was also probing into the incident and its member visited the city and met the injured woman cop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest