Odisha Governor orders Lokpal probe into Cong rally clash
Bhubaneswar: Odisha Governor M C Bhandare Wednesday ordered a Lokpal probe into the violence at a recent Congress rally where over 260 people including 60 police personnel were injured, Raj Bhavan sources said.
The order came in response to the demand of Congress leaders who alleged that their workers and leaders were mercilessly beaten up by the police while they were holding a meeting at the Mahatma Gandhi Marg on September 6.
"Our people were beaten up by the police without any provocation," the Congress in a memorandum to the Governor had said. A delegation of the Odisha Pradesh Congress Committee (OPCC) led by its President Niranjan Patnaik had also met Bhandare at Raj Bhavan.
Sources said a copy of the Governor`s order was sent to the Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik for information.
Congress had also called an Odisha Bandh on September 10 in protest against alleged police excess.
The violence during the Congress rally had drawn wide attention due to assault and alleged molestation of a woman constable by the mob.
The National Commission for Women was also probing into the incident and its member visited the city and met the injured woman cop.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?