Odisha govt asks departments to be ready for below normal rains
Bhubaneswar: With India Meteorological Department predicting below normal rainfall during the Monsoons, Odisha government on Tuesday asked the departments concerned to remain prepared to meet the situation likely to be created due to low rainfall, official sources said.
Besides asking the department of cooperation to disburse Rs 4,200 crore agriculture loan during the ongoing Kharif season by the end of July, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik directed the departments of agriculture, water resources and other departments concerned to prepare road maps to tackle any situation.
"The Chief Minister has asked to disburse agriculture loans to farmers before time. So far we have disbursed loans worth Rs 1,000 crore," state cooperation minister Damodar Rout told reporters adding farmers would be encouraged to take up non-paddy cultivation in case they suffer due to the possible low rainfall.
Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy said he has been directed by the Chief Minister to provide adequate quantity of seeds to the farmers if there was crop loss due to low rainfall.
Patnaik also asked the water resource department to ensure that farmers get water for irrigation through canals and repair all lift irrigation projects before time.
Meanwhile, IMD Bhubaneswar director Sarat Sahu said "The Monsoon is likely to touch Odisha on June 14 or June 15. We predict 94 per cent rainfall during this monsoon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Absconding rape accused AISA leader Anmol Ratan to apply for anticipatory bail
- Silly to have advertised my Chevalier award: Kamal Haasan
- Chikungunya outbreak in Delhi: Symptoms, tips to stay safe!
- Hal Shashti Vrat 2016: What is the significance of Balaram Jayanti!
- Good news for Vaishno Devi pilgrims! Shrine Board to announce new route soon - Know details