Odisha govt asks departments to be ready for below normal rains
Bhubaneswar: With India Meteorological Department predicting below normal rainfall during the Monsoons, Odisha government on Tuesday asked the departments concerned to remain prepared to meet the situation likely to be created due to low rainfall, official sources said.
Besides asking the department of cooperation to disburse Rs 4,200 crore agriculture loan during the ongoing Kharif season by the end of July, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik directed the departments of agriculture, water resources and other departments concerned to prepare road maps to tackle any situation.
"The Chief Minister has asked to disburse agriculture loans to farmers before time. So far we have disbursed loans worth Rs 1,000 crore," state cooperation minister Damodar Rout told reporters adding farmers would be encouraged to take up non-paddy cultivation in case they suffer due to the possible low rainfall.
Agriculture Minister Pradeep Maharathy said he has been directed by the Chief Minister to provide adequate quantity of seeds to the farmers if there was crop loss due to low rainfall.
Patnaik also asked the water resource department to ensure that farmers get water for irrigation through canals and repair all lift irrigation projects before time.
Meanwhile, IMD Bhubaneswar director Sarat Sahu said "The Monsoon is likely to touch Odisha on June 14 or June 15. We predict 94 per cent rainfall during this monsoon."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog