Odisha Govt asks Nalco to set up medical college in Koraput
Bhubaneswar: Odisha government on Tuesday asked Navaratna PSU Nalco to set up a medical college in tribal dominated Koraput district as part of its corporate social responsibility (CSR) and peripheral development activities.
"Odisha government wants Nalco to set up a medical college in Koraput, company`s mining operation area. You are suggested to attend a meeting to be convened by the Health and Family Welfare minister on July 5," Health secretary PK Mohapatra said in a letter to Nalco chairman-cum-managing director (CMD) BL Dagra.
Stating that other public sector companies like NTPC and MCL have agreed to set up a medical college and hospital each in their operation area, he said Nalco should also come forward for establishing a medical college in Koraput.
Mohapatra also pointed out that the proposed medical college in Koraput could use the 600-bed district headquarter hospital for practical classes.
While NTPC had decided to locate its medical college hospital in Sundergarh district, MCL would set up its medical college at Talcher, Mohapatra said.
At least eight private organisations also plan to set up medical colleges and hospitals in the state, he said.
Meanwhile, the state government maintained that the Centre had given nod for raising number of MBBS seats from 107 to 150 each in all the three government run medical colleges.
"The government has also decided to make it mandatory for students passing out of state run medical colleges to serve for three years in rural areas or pay penalty in default," Mohapatra said adding the new provision would ensure availability of doctors in rural pockets.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured