Odisha govt failed to provide relief to people: Congress
Bhubaneswar: Ridiculing the Odisha government`s claim that its preparedness and evacuation of people from coastal regions saved many lives during cyclone Phailin, opposition Congress Wednesday alleged the administration utterly failed to provide relief materials to the affected.
Urging Governor S C Jamir to direct the state government to form all-party committees at state and district levels to oversee relief operations in cyclone and flood affected areas, a delegation of Congress claimed people had themselves fled before the government took any step.
"The state government`s claim about evacuation is exaggerated and publicity-oriented. More than half of the evacuees had moved to safer places on their own because of the horrifying experience of the 1999 Super Cyclone and round-the-clock media coverage," Congress said in a memorandum to the Governor.
PCC President Jaydev Jena demanded waiver of agricultural loans taken by affected farmers and reimbursement of the total expenditure incurred on raising crops by those who have not taken loans.
The opposition party also demanded free electricity to affected farmers for five years and soft bank loans of up to Rs 50,000 for rebuilding houses. It also sought to corner the ruling party for distributing relief materials on political considerations.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...