Odisha govt following hostage commitments: Behera

Last Updated: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 23:15

Bhubaneswar: The Odisha government on Tuesday expressed determination in dealing firmly with attempts to disrupt public order and unlawful activities by Left wing extremists and said it was following the commitments made during the hostage crisis involving two Italian nationals and an MLA.

"The state government is taking all possible steps and will follow the commitments made during the hostages crisis in letter and spirit," Home Secretary UN Behera told reporters here.

Criticising the violence by Maoists, he said, "While the state government is making all possible efforts to maintain peace and order, the Maoists have continued to indulge in violent activities by killing innocent civilians and security personnel."

Since March 14, the day on which two Italians were abducted, the Maoists have killed four civilians and as many security personnel, he said, adding that five policemen were also injured during the period.

"The Maoists have also indulged in other violent activities like damaging mobile phone towers, burning vehicles and machineries, road blockades and attack on police personnel. They are also giving frequent bandh calls to disrupt public life," he said.

The state government`s clarification on its commitment came a day after Dandapani Mohanty, one of the Maoist nominated mediators, alleged that the promises made during the hostage crisis were not being met.

Clarifying the action taken so far, Behera said that the state government had agreed to facilitate release of four persons in the matter of abduction of two Italian nationals. The four persons were Subhashree Das, Arati Majhi, Suka Nachika and Chakra Tadinig.

PTI



First Published: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 - 23:15

comments powered by Disqus