Odisha govt prepared to meet any threat
Bhubaneswar: Amidst reports of Jihadi outfits like Lashkar-e-Taiba planning attacks in Odisha, the state Government on Wednesday assured that security forces were prepared to meet any threat.
"It (possible terror attack) is a serious matter. Our forces are prepared to meet any eventuality", Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik told reporters here.
Patnaik`s remark came after state Director General of Police (DGP) Manmohan Praharaj said appropriate steps were taken to counter any possible terror attack in the wake of intelligence inputs about such possibility.
Both were reacting to Assam DGP Jayanta Narayan Choudhury`s revelation in Guwahati that Jihadi outfits like LeT were planning attacks in Odisha and Maharashtra.
"We have been taking precautionary steps in Puri where lakhs of devotees congregate for the annual car festival of Lord Jagannth", Praharaj said.
Praharaj, however, said the state government had no information regarding terrorists plan to target missile launching base in Odisha?s Balasore district.
However, security cover already exists in sensitive installations in the state including the missile launching base in the state, sources in the Home department said.
The Odisha DGP had on June 21, the car festival day, told the media there were intelligence inputs about possible terrorist attack in the holy town of Puri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter