Odisha govt proposes to increase rural college seats
Berhampur: Odisha government has proposed to increase the number of seats in junior colleges localted in rural areas by 15 percent to help local students to take admission in Plus II this academic year.
Initially we had decided to increase around 25 percent seats in each college, but reduced it to 15 percent after considering availability of infrastructure facilities in the colleges in rural areas, state Higher Education Minister Badri Narayan Patra here.
Instructions in this regard would be issued soon to respective colleges after Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik approves the proposal, he told reporters yesterday.
The college authorities would increase the number of seat in any of the streams considering the number of applications, he said.
The government proposed to increase number of seats to facilitate the local students to take admission in the local colleges. The block would be taken as a unit and the student of the same block could take in any of the colleges in the respective block.
The government proposed to increase number of seats colleges considering high cut-off marks in reputed colleges in urban areas. Many rural students with low marks fail to get admission to study in the colleges.
The cut-off marks in the colleges is likely to be increased this year as the more number of students in the High School Certificate examination have passed in first division, the minister said.
The government would appoint over 270 junior lectures in the colleges before the beginning of the academic session this year. The government has also written to Odisha Public Services Commission for recruitment of another around 580 lecturers, he said.
Presently around 1800 lecturer posts were lying vacant in colleges and in a bid to solve the shortage of teachers the government colleges, the government has proposed to deploy the surplus teachers from non-government colleges.
Around 400 surplus teachers were identified in the non-government colleges, the minister added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in