Odisha HC Bar Association to boycott courts
Cuttack: Responding to the call given by the Bar Council of India, the members of Odisha High Court Bar Association here have decided to boycott courts on July 11 and 12.
Opposing the inclusion of legal education within the ambit of the proposed Higher Education and Research Bill-2011 and Legal Practitioners (Regulations and Maintenance of Standards in Professions, Protecting the Interest of Clients and Promoting the Rule of Law) Act, 2010, the BCI last month had given the boycott call urging all state bar associations and state bar councils to cooperate.
“Respecting BCI’s call, we had abstained from the courts for one day last month and we are also going to boycott the courts on Wednesday and Thursday,” said HC bar association secretary Piyush Mishra.
He said the proposed Bill would curb independence of the legal profession which would have a direct bearing on the lawyers.
Besides, the bill would equip the governments to have a direct control over the lawyers, the legal profession and legal education in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan