Odisha HC Bar Association to boycott courts
Cuttack: Responding to the call given by the Bar Council of India, the members of Odisha High Court Bar Association here have decided to boycott courts on July 11 and 12.
Opposing the inclusion of legal education within the ambit of the proposed Higher Education and Research Bill-2011 and Legal Practitioners (Regulations and Maintenance of Standards in Professions, Protecting the Interest of Clients and Promoting the Rule of Law) Act, 2010, the BCI last month had given the boycott call urging all state bar associations and state bar councils to cooperate.
“Respecting BCI’s call, we had abstained from the courts for one day last month and we are also going to boycott the courts on Wednesday and Thursday,” said HC bar association secretary Piyush Mishra.
He said the proposed Bill would curb independence of the legal profession which would have a direct bearing on the lawyers.
Besides, the bill would equip the governments to have a direct control over the lawyers, the legal profession and legal education in the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army prepares to secure Arunachal Pradesh from China
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- India is 7th wealthiest country in the world, ahead of Canada, Australia and Italy
- SHOCKING! Heads of Moroccan Islamist movement caught having sex on the beach
- Saturn's moon Dione reveals its contrasting features to NASA's Cassini! - See pic
- Divine coincidence! After 5000 years, this 'shubh muhurat' occurs again on Krishna Janmashtami this year—FIND OUT
- Home Minister Rajnath Singh to visit Kashmir on Wednesday